During this time of the year, when everyone is out grilling, it’s usually easy to find a Paleo meat option but it’s difficult to find a Paleo friendly salad. This red cabbage salad is Paleo approved and Whole30 compliant, made with ingredients you probably already have at home; all you need is a red cabbage. You’ll surprise all your friends when you take this simple healthy salad to a potluck. It’s so vibrant in color, fresh, crisp and tangy that they’ll never guess it’s Paleo. [Read more…]
One of the most popular and delicious Middle Eastern salads is tabbouleh. Traditionally, it is made with tomatoes, parsley, mint, onions, bulgur, olive oil, lemon juice and salt. This is not your traditional recipe, this is my take on it. If you are eating a Paleo diet, then you know that bulgur is not Paleo approved. [Read more…]
Happy Middle Eastern Mother’s Day! In honor of this special day and the first day of Spring, let me introduce you to my favorite salad and salad dressing. It’s so easy to make and so refreshingly delicious. This salad is such an important part of our culture. There are so many different variations and names for this salad. Some may add parsley, mint, onions, sweet bell peppers, chili peppers, or even avocados. Middle Easterners eat a variation of this salad as much as they eat rice and bread, so that’s a lot. It is also a great side for so many delicious Middle Eastern dishes, my favorite is the Palestinian dish, maklube.This salad is great on top of this Paleo rice stuffing with plain yogurt (laban), if you can tolerate dairy. [Read more…]
My go-to lunch nowadays, has been this protein filled salad. It could easily feed two but I eat it alone and it keeps me very full until dinner. You can double the recipe and make it for dinner. My two year old loved to pick out the almonds and coconut flakes. She doesn’t like tuna but she loves this *salad.
- 1-2 tbsp of toasted slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp of unsweetened toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 hard cooked egg, sliced
- 1 can of salt free tuna packed in water (I like Raincoast Trading’s Solid White Albacore Tuna or Wild Planet White Albacore Tuna)
- 3 cups romaine lettuce or mixed salad greens
- A drizzle of compliant dressing (I make my own)
- Arrange the greens on a plate.
- Place tuna, sliced avocado and egg on top.
- Drizzle your dressing on top.
- Add toasted coconut flakes and almonds at the end for extra crunch.
*Arabic word for salad: salata